Mould contamination and growth in buildings in New Zealand can be caused and supported by water leaks, floods, poor ventilation, lack of insulation and substandard building techniques. Whether it is caused by a leaky building, a humid environment, sewer back-flows, plumbing failures or flooding, the result can be a debilitating health hazard.
The health impacts in NZ are well documented including respiratory infections, allergic responses, headaches, fatigue, and sore throats. These health impacts can result in buildings becoming uninhabitable and requiring expensive remediation if not dealt with in a timely manner.
The presence of mould is not always obvious. Mould may exist behind wall linings and in roof spaces for some time, causing residents continued respiratory discomfort and only become evident when the spores penetrate surfaces and discolouration and growth are noticed.